Chatbox for Singapore Football

Chat anything regarding Singapore Football here. Warning: Any user who posts offensive or irrelevant comments will be banned from this chatbox. No spamming, vulgarities and advertising on this chatbox is allowed. For any feedback or enquiries about this blogsite, please contact me thru email singaporeleague@live.com Any questions about this blogsite HERE will not be entertain.

We have move to here!

We have move to here!
WE HAVE MOVE TO HERE! CLICK ON THE LINK. :D

Friday, October 28, 2011

Izwan scare, as SEA Games strikers talk goals Nizam and Fazli believe they can click together as first group match against Malaysia looms

Source

SINGAPORE - An untimely slip by goalkeeper Izwan Mahbud (picture) yesterday sent shudders through the Singapore under-23 team preparing for next month's SEA Games.

Training on a soggy Geylang Field, the team were in the middle of a 30-minute friendly when the 21-year-old first choice custodian skidded and twisted his left ankle.

He limped off immediately, accompanied by the team physiotherapist, and the injured ankle was taped after extensive icing.

This was the same ankle Izwan twisted in Singapore's World Cup Asian Zone third round qualifier against China in Kunming eight weeks ago.

After his star turn with the national team, Izwan is regarded as a key figure in the SEA Games team as they aim to make the final of the tournament.

There was a sigh of relief when the initial assessment of the injury was a minor sprain.

"He'll go to the doctor tomorrow for a check-up so that we can know the full extent of the injury," Young Lions assistant coach Robin Chitrakar told Today.

Drawn in Group A, with matches against Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia and Cambodia, the under-23s will have to be at their best to meet their target of at least a silver medal.

Their 90-minute training session yesterday was a serious affair under the strict gaze of head coach, Slobodan Pavkovic.

Said Chitrakar: "Even Cambodia's not shabby this time around, so we're in for a tough campaign. It has been tough for us to work around the S-League schedule but the team is looking good."

The biggest concern may well be goalscoring. Striker Khairul Nizam has recently returned after two months out nursing a hamstring injury and he will possibly start with Fazli Ayob when Singapore kick off their SEA Games campaign against arch-rivals Malaysia in Jakarta on Nov 8.

For Nizam, it is a matter of getting back to full fitness.

"I still need some time to get fully fit, so I'll be working extra hard in training," said the 20-year-old. "Of course there's a bit of pressure on me, being the lead striker, but Fazli and I are communicating well and building up a good partnership."

"He's been setting me up well but, at the same time, I know I can always lay off to him if I'm caught. I have the confidence that he too can score."

With five S-League goals this season, Fazli is the leading scorer for the Courts Young Lions in the competition.

The 21-year-old is enjoying himself.

"My natural position is at right midfield but I've adapted well to the forward role," said Fazli. "It's an achievement for me to surpass my personal target of three goals this season and I'm looking forward to banging in more at the SEA Games."

"The team have worked well together and I know I can count on the support behind me ... I really hope we can win the gold medal at the SEA Games," he added.



Last night's result:

Singapore Pools FA Cup final

Tampines Rovers Prime League 1 Singapore Recreation Club 1 (Tampines won 7-6 after penalty kicks)

No comments:

Post a Comment