Chatbox for Singapore Football

Chat anything regarding Singapore Football here. Warning: Any user who posts offensive or irrelevant comments will be banned from this chatbox. No spamming, vulgarities and advertising on this chatbox is allowed. For any feedback or enquiries about this blogsite, please contact me thru email singaporeleague@live.com Any questions about this blogsite HERE will not be entertain.

We have move to here!

We have move to here!
WE HAVE MOVE TO HERE! CLICK ON THE LINK. :D

Sunday, September 25, 2011

A substitute waiting for his breakthrough

Source




“If you take away my speed and work rate, I am nothing.” These are the words that a certain Lion describes himself and his style of play. His speed and work rate. Tireless and pacy, it is a common sight to see him covering the pitch with his runs and bursting down the flank to assist and provide for his team mates.

For that certain Lion, getting there however, was not a path laid with roses. The emotional ride that he went through would be hard on any normal aspiring national footballer, but Hamqaamal Shah is anything but an ordinary player.

Having picked up the sport at an early age, Hamqaamal displayed the gift for the sport as early as 12 years old. He was a youth player with Woodlands Wellington and then moved up the age groups until he was selected for the first time to represent the nation in the National Football Academy U16 team, under the guidance of ex-national midfielder, Suria Moorthy, together with the likes of current national players, Isa Halim, Ismail Yunos and Shaiful Esah.

The 25-year-old had a series of moves back and forth between club football and also the NFA. His first taste of professional football came when he was hand-picked to join the Young Lions by then Coach Fandi Ahmad.

There, he said was where he received the extensive trainings, invaluable guidance and advices from the coaching staff.

“The coaching staff at the club guided me and we went through trainings that prepared us for a higher level of football, at the same time, those trainings we received made me a more matured player. I have learnt alot during my time at the Young Lions”, recalled Hamqaamal.

The time at Young Lions, however, was overshadowed by the fact that he was left out of two SEA Games consecutively. Expectations were at an all time low. “When I was left out for the second SEA Games, I totally did not expect anything much from my football career anymore. My confidence was very much affected, but I just continued doing what I love to do and still give my 100 percent at club level.”

The winger subsequently joined Gombak United in 2008, where he still plies his trade till this day.

And for all the effort put in as a youth player, the speedy winger finally got his breakthrough when national team manager, Eugene Loo rang him up one day to inform him of the good news.

Speaking of the call-up, Hamqaamal said, “It caught me totally by surprise as I did not expect the call up. After I had been left out of the SEA Games squad when I was with the Young Lions, the last thing I expected was to be chosen to represent the senior national team. The call up gave me a renewed boost in morale and confidence”

The Gombak United winger has since been a regular name in the Singapore National team set-up, but has yet to start for the Lions. But that only spurs the motivated young man further.
Commenting on the desire to break into the first eleven for the Lions, Hamqaamal stated, “I know I have not been in the starting eleven for the Lions before, but I take this as a test and can only push myself to work harder for that place. I have experienced disappointments before, but that has never stopped me from getting to where I want to be”.
Hamqaamal, who recently tied the knot, is optimistic of his chances, “There are many talented players in the squad now and it will be tough trying to break through into the team, but you can be sure that you will see more of me in time to come!” chirped Hamqaamal.
With that burning desire to play, and a gifted knack for the sport, you would not want to bet against it!

No comments:

Post a Comment